Friday, May 23, 2008

Democracy In-Action

Greetings.

I was reading the newspapers again (like a child picking at a scab that won't heal) and stumbled into a lovely article about the current U.S. election. There was a lovely quote in it, which I will repeat here:

Joe Trippi, a Democratic consultant who pioneered some of the successful grassroots and internet techniques when he ran Howard Dean's campaign in 2004, said Senator McCain was already in "deep, deep trouble" because of a poor organisation and an anaemic fund-raising total of about a fifth of the $US500 million ($A519 million) raised by Senator Obama and Senator Clinton.

Now, I don't know about you, and I couldn't care less about partisan/bipartisan/cis or trans/partisan poilitics here, but this stinks up my nostrils like unwashed sasquatch genitals. What kind of democratic process is being developed here, when one of, if not the central aspect of an election campaign is the funds that are thrown into it? Policies? Integrities? Democracies?
Not to mention that this current U.S. election is expected to top US$ 1,000,000,000.00 spending on the campaigns. Call me a breeding heart liberal, a conservative whackjob or an ignorant prick, but couldn't that money be spent elsewhere, on something better? I need me beer and pickles dammit.
Fortunately, the solution is simple. Limit total campaign spending to AU$50. Have each campaign puppet actually be a puppet. And if anyone contravenes these simple rules, trap them, skin them and require their nominated family member or friend to wear their skin for a period not less than 300 days. Simple.
Why am I not god?

--END TRANSMISSION--

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

> stinks up my nostrils like unwashed
> sasquatch genitals

Not a Tenacious D fan, then?


> Why am I not god?

You are, Adam, you are.

Adam Man Tium said...

The line is a hermeneutic de-conceptualisation of a line from the movie Anchorman.

Upon smelling the cologne 'Sex Panther', one of the extras proclaims that it 'smells like Bigfoot's dick.'

Gold.

And yes, like any committed atheisit, my goal is to become god. Just one with a lower case g. Using an upper case G is just presumptuous and rude.